i have always used CRC Heavy Duty Silicone
all of my cubes have always moved excellent
but recently i used vaseline on one of my older cubes
it moves just as fast

so
whats your opinion?
whats better silicon or vaseline?
they're both the same in my point of view
except for certain toxic properties of silicon and messy cleanups that may happen if vaseline is used
and i dont think im a "noob" when it comes to cubes

Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:39 pm

Post Re: Vaseline fan? Silicon fan? speak here
Ive only used silicon and I love it. ive had it on my cubes for 3 weeks-ish and dont regret it.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:07 am
Site Admin

Silicon for sure! Besides the fact that vaseline eats your cube away after some time...i just love silicone! :)

Plus it's poisonous...so it has to be good right?! I think vaseline should be used to lube other things :roll:

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:11 pm

b03tz wrote:
Silicon for sure! Besides the fact that vaseline eats your cube away after some time...i just love silicone! :)

Plus it's poisonous...so it has to be good right?! I think vaseline should be used to lube other things :roll:

You're right, vaseline may be better for short time lube, i don't like lube my cube, it wastes a lot of time so i use crc or cfs lube, i don't know what kind of lube do the people use but vaseline it's not a good idea, almost for me.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:36 am

Silicon! WOO!
It's awesome.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:32 am

Common question. Use Vaseline for a week. It will soften the plastic just a little. Quickly clean it out by taking paper towels and rubbing out the insides and outsides. Wash in warm water(don't worry about stickers not sure about tiles though) Do one more swipe then lay down newspaper and set each piece up individually by rows then spray them with silicone(Hit all parts except for stickers, gets really greasy). After about 15 mins drying assemble and you will have one of the greatest cubes ever. Trust me. I did this on a storebought, and I got my a sub 40 Time(I'm a 50-1:00 average, yes i know I'm slow.)

P.S. try do this in Roughly 20-25 Min.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:21 am

I used vaseline on one of my cubes it moved very nicely but i was cubing in one of classes at school and it completly exploded. i couldn't put it back together so i had to by a new one. i used silicone on the new one and it was a lot better than vaseline. so yeah silicone

Last edited by ZamHalen on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Typed something twice accidently lol

Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Never over lube a cheap cube though.i did that to one of the cubes i used to make a siamese cube and one of the centers keeps falling out causing terrible pops.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:16 am

My first cube was a storebought and initially i found it difficult to get under 50s, so i looked around youtube and saw some people saying that if you put vaseline into a cube then it moves much faster and smoother. I tried it and it was awesome. then i found out that vaseline corrodes the plastic of the cube a little bit, i cleaned it out with paper towels and washing up liquid. The grease that came out of the cube was black because the vaseline had taken of a layer of the black plastic
This made the cube turn like a dream. Basically if your cube is crap then put in some vaseline and clean in out after about a month.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:30 pm

Wow these forums are decrepit. anyways, i'm a fan of teh silicon just because it is easy to apply and almost no clean up if you just pop out one of the edges, point, and shoot.

Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:00 am